Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Homeschooled Kids are Um… Unusual…

The other day I was talking with a friend of mine who also homeschools about a young man we know who is rather “unusual.”  I know – this sounds bad.  It wasn’t gossip, he just came up in a much broader conversation and we made that side note.  Her husband popped up – “Why are homeschooled kids always called unusual?”

You know what – he’s right.  My boys are unusual, her kids are unusual, in fact most homeschooled kids probably fall into that category.

However – this is a good thing.  What in the world is wrong with falling outside the teenage norm?  Having had two public schooled teenagers – I know the pressures they are put under to conform.  You must be cool, you must fit in, you must not be unusual! 
Homeschooled kids don’t have near the peer pressure that these other kids do.  This allows them to be who they are without fear that their peers will criticize or ostracize them for it.  If there’s one thing I really value about homeschooling, this is it. 

My father loves the saying  - “Be who you are and be that perfectly.”  While non-homeschooled peers might think homeschoolers are weird or uncool, I would say they are who they are and that’s a wonderful thing!

5 comments:

  1. Were you and your friend talking about Luke by any chance? LOL! We applaud the wildly imaginative, creative, weird, unusual person he is. I wouldn't have it any other way. I think our kids love the fact that they beat to thier very own drum. That drum beat will take them far and open up opportunities others could only dream of having, and all thanks to an evironment that cultivates creative thinking and individuality. I love homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! No, not Luke. He is unusual in a wonderful way, though. :-) I love the creativity that comes from these kids. They don't worry about what everyone else thinks, they just go out there and create.

      Delete
  2. "That drum beat will take them far and open up opportunities others could only dream of having," I haven't met anyone who was homeschooled at an Ivy-league school. And while that is not a criteria for success, homeschooling does often prevent these schools from even being an option (unless by "homeschool" you mean teaching an extremely talented kid calculus in elementary school or something).

    Creativity and a willingness to express yourself is not limited to being homeschooled. Everyone seems to think that public schools are cesspools of stupidity and bullying. Through being public schools, I have met some of the most interesting people and teachers. I still correspond with many teachers who were particularly inspiring, and I chose my major as a result of her teachings.

    I'm not trying to say that homeschooling is bad- sometimes it is the right choice. But, it may be limiting in unintentional ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth,

      I appreciate your perspective. Actually, homeschoolers do go to ivy league schools just like public schoolers do. You'd be surprised. While it was true in the past that they were not sought out, nowadays they have the same opportunities.

      However, please do understand that I don't think public schools are cesspools. My two oldest went through public school, I went through public school, and many of my boys' friends are public schooled. However, to suggest that peer pressure isn't a huge factor in public schools would be inaccurate.

      It all depends on the student. Some are strong enough to rise above it, some fit in without having to change and grow that way, and some grin and bear it and then blossom as adults.

      April

      Delete
  3. People are always commenting about my boys being different. They seem to thrive on different, and I am glad!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - I love to hear your thoughts!