Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

To Smartphone or Not - That is the Question...

It’s time to upgrade and renew our phone plans.  I’m so torn – we’re with Verizon.  I was taken aback to find out that they have a whopping four non-smart phones in their repertoire to choose from, and, let’s just say, they aren’t very impressive.  That wouldn’t bother me so much if it weren’t for the fact it’s going to cost me an extra $22 per month per line to have smart phones.   Urgh!

Even if it’s just my husband and I, that’s $528 per year!  Yikes!  For a phone!!!  Of course, the gentleman argued it’s no longer just a phone.  It’s a GPS, it’s Internet, it’s mail, it’s social networking and banking and…  Ok.  I can do that from home.  I just don’t see myself with the sudden urge to bank or Facebook or get online while out and about.  It can wait.

Mail, well, that’s attractive.  I do need another GPS, but I could buy quite a GPS for $528.  Come to think of it, with a two year contract it’s $1056 (and we have a corporate discount!).  I think I feel faint. 
My husband already has one.  Urgh!  Even $500 over time is a bit of a scary investment no matter how you break up the payments.
I’m pretty sure I’ve talked myself out of it.  Thoughts?  Why do you have a smart phone?  Is there any reason compelling enough to spend that much money? 

3 comments:

  1. Until a couple of weeks ago, I had the simple old flip phone and it served me well. I recently got a Blackberry courtesy of my employer. Can't say I'm impressed. I know there's tons I can do but like you said, it can wait til I'm home. Even if it's work related, I have a laptop that's easier for me to use. My vote is to keep it simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, smart phone is life style changing. Is has changed how I interact with technology. My connected time is about evenly split between computer and phone and shifting toward phone. It has increased my connected time. I love how you can customize the phone to your life needs. Some folks are all about games, some email, and such I love the organization of boot feeds, shopping lists, financial tracking and of course, social media. It is worth the investment for me and the rest of the family all has droids too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not into spending a ton of money on cell phones.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - I love to hear your thoughts!