Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Taekwondo, Life, and "Unschool" Opportunities

We are getting ready to spend much of today and all of tomorrow on Taekwondo.  We have a tournament this weekend and are helping to setup.  Should be interesting.

Personally, I think it’s wonderful that Master Singh gives the kids so much responsibility.  The teens and adults know they will be called upon to help.  I know some people don’t like this, but, for me, it feels like we’re all in it together instead of just going to a business to learn TKD.
The tournament is exciting for my middle son.  He’s looking forward to the competition.  I’m competeing just this once for the experience – I’ll just be glad when it’s over.  I love the demonstration team, but individual competition is not my forte. 

We’re having a raffle to raise money for the demonstration team.  My son has gotten to see the process of putting together a fundraiser and will spend much of tomorrow helping to try and make it a success.  Nothing like a little business knowledge mixed in with your martial arts.
Learning is truly an on-going, happening-around-you-all-of-the-time process.  He’s learning a work ethic, honor in competition, a martial art, business and money management all in one package.

While we aren’t unschoolers, it’s easy to see how life provides so many opportunities to learn and grow.
Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!  Will post pics next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I love to hear your thoughts!