Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Our BBQ Tradition

I’m sitting here looking out the window at a chilly, rainy day.  Water is dripping off of the changing leaves, and the groundcover looks like it’s ready for sleep.  I love this time of year!  The first Friday of November is a day of tradition for us.

Today we head off to the Unionville BBQ.  This has been a family tradition for as long as I’ve been a Bradley.  In fact, this is the sixtieth year of them holding this event.  We get there around 11 (my mother-in-law likes to be early).  It’s held at an elementary school where people from all over flock and cram themselves into the school gym for a good meal.  We eat smoked pork, Brunswick stew, coleslaw (not me) and yummy desserts like sweet potato pie.
Aren’t traditions funny? 

As the holidays progress, I start thinking more and more about traditions.  They are really what ground us, aren’t they?  Some we bring with us when we grow up and form our own families, and some we create and enjoy.  We come to count on those traditions.  If one is missed, everyone wonders what happened.

As my kids are growing into young adults and moving into their own homes, I wonder how our traditions are going to change.  We’ll miss them if they aren’t there, but I know that they’ll be starting their own while hanging onto a few dad and I have passed on.

What traditions are you looking forward to this holiday season?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I love to hear your thoughts!