Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday Memoir - Week 15

In theory, we’re supposed to be in for another snow storm today. Since I'm writing this the day before, I’ll have to update on the outcome. Here in the South, we have gone entire winters without so much as a flake of snow. This year, we have the first Christmas snow since the 1940’s. We’ll see if we are getting our second hit already.

Here are the two questions for this week.  Grab them, post them, then come on back and link up. 

1. Did you go to college? If so, how did you decide where to go? If not, why did you decide to go a different route?

2. How important was education in your home growing up?




1. Did you go to college? If so, how did you decide where to go? If not, why did you decide to go a different route?


Yes, I went to college. The first college I attended was Colorado State University. I went there because it was in the town I lived in, and I had always envisioned going there. In fact, it’s the only place I applied.

After attending for a year, I transferred to Colorado State University, Pueblo. My parents got divorced the year I started college. I decided to move here because it was where my dad was an administrator. I earned my BA in English.

It wasn’t until 2005 that I decided to go back to school to get my Master’s degree. This time, with four children and a job, I decided to earn it online through Eastern Carolina University. My MA in English was earned in 2007.


2.  How important was education in your home growing up?

This is a good question. My father always worked on university campuses while we were growing up. I wouldn’t say there was a big emphasis per say on education at home, but, since we grew up around education, it was a given.

I always expected to go to college. My parents didn’t push me one way or the other. However, I’ve always been OCD, so grades were something that compelled me. Both my sister and I did well in school, earned our bachelor’s degrees, went back later and earned our Master’s degrees, and we are now educators. I guess it’s in our blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I love to hear your thoughts!