Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Memoir Monday - Week 25

The boys were in a TKD tournament this weekend. My oldest told me he didn’t want to go, but I made him. Regret. He was miserable. How do you know when it’s time to push them and when it’s time to listen? I learned a lesson this weekend. No more pushing without really listening.

1. What activities did your parents have you participate in as a pre-teen/tween (sports, clubs, church)? What were your favorite? What would you have preferred not to do?

2. What activities did you choose to participate in as a teenager? Did they help you when it came to choosing a career or preparing for college?

1. What activities did your parents have you participate in as a pre-teen/tween (sports, clubs, church)? What were your favorite? What would you have preferred not to do?

I vaguely remember being in baton and ballet as a young child. We had elaborate costumes and I have a little case of medals I apparently won doing baton. I remember wanting to play soccer, but my mom had shin problems and was terrified we’d get our shins hurt. We went to one practice and that was it.

My sister and I were both in Campfire girls. I don't know if they even still exist – seems like it’s all Girl Scouts these days. The Campfire Girls wore American Indian outfits for ceremonies, and we won beads for different accomplishments. I even remember using a bead loom to make a headband for my outfit. I went to camp several times as a Campfire Girl as well. One year, I got to go for free because of all the candy we sold. Yes, we sold candy instead of cookies, and it was really good! There was this stuff called Peanut Brickle and toffee bars that were essentially miniature Heath bars. Those were my favorites! My mom’s strategy was to take us by all the fraternities and sororities right about the time they were getting the munchies in the evening. We made a killing!

I don’t really remember any other activities. There may have been some, but they aren’t jumping into the ol’ brain right now.

2. What activities did you choose to participate in as a teenager? Did they help you when it came to choosing a career or preparing for college?

When I got older, my mom enrolled my sister and I in a gymnastics/tap/dance class. It was fun, but very awkward. Most that went were very agile – I’ve never even been able to execute a proper cartwheel. Needless to say, the gymnastics part of that grouping was laughable for me. I’ve never been a very petite girl either. Tap was fun, and the jazz dance was fun. The costumes were embarrassing.

We met the speech and debate coach at a Dunkin Donuts by accident one day. He talked me into trying it, and I was hooked. Speech and debate was my main activity all through high school. Made it to state a couple of times, but mostly I enjoyed spending most weekends away from home, staying in hotels, and hanging out with friends while arguing my way through competitions.

My parents even sent me to Ohio for a debate camp on summer. Me and two friends went. The problem was I went to work on my individual debate skills, but all they were teaching was team debate. (They didn’t tell us there wasn’t enough enrollment for the other.) The trip was a blast, but didn’t really help with my skills.

Post your responses to these questions on your blog, and then link up!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you were involved in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I love to hear your thoughts!