Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

O.L.D. Syndrome

I hate having O.L.D. syndrome. It’s one of those things that creeps up on me when I least expect it. You would think being twenty-five with a mere fifteen years of practice, I wouldn’t have to deal with O.L.D. yet, but I guess it’s true that it’s the miles and not the years that count.

Yesterday, the boys and I decided to take in an extra taekwondo practice in preparation for the tournament coming in another week. Our school work was well on its way and we had the time, so why not a little extra exercise?

Things during the first half of the class went very well. We stretched, we jogged, we put on our protection for sparring – a typical class.
  
Line up! Here we go… My job was to be on the attack while my partner was to defend. Mind you, we weren’t sparring at this point, just practicing. Nothing too strenuous. I executed a nice kick with the right, followed by a round house with the left, and mid-air – POP!

Yes, POP! In my calf. No other way to explain it. In fact, I believe the words out of my mouth were – “Oh! Something just popped!” Yes, then there was pain…

So, long story long, I had it confirmed by the doctor – I tore my calf muscle. Total – O.L.D. There’s no way around it. No reason other than I'm decrepit is the cause for this very annoying injury.

Now, I’m expected to spend the next several weeks gingerly doing exercises to rehab the muscle. Can’t walk on it quite yet, but in a day or two, I’ll be able to. At least, that’s the story I’m going with.

I have neither the patience nor the time to deal with this, so I’m hoping, praying, expecting miraculous healing, stat!

Adding insult to injury, I gave up sweets for Lent so I can’t even drown my sorrows in a nice bucket of chocolate. Sigh!

Being O.L.D. is no fun. I don’t recommend it. Avoid it at all costs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I love to hear your thoughts!