Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Memoir Mondays Week 23


Two more days of sweets!  I'm getting ready by making a lovely blueberry cream dessert for the family tonight.  I'm going to have two helpings!  I hope God doesn't mind.  :-)

1.  Did you or your family give up anything for Lent growing up?  Are you giving up anything for Lent this year?

2.  How were you first introduced to God?



1. Did you or your family give up anything for Lent growing up? Are you giving up anything for Lent this year?

I remember going to church for Lenten services as a kid.  Not every year, but some years.  The ash on the foreheads was always interesting to me.  My mom would leave it on for some time.  I was always ready to get it off.  I don't really think I understood Christ's sacrifice until I was in my twenties.  I've been to Lenten services where nails are nailed into a cross as well.  It's powerful imagery.  I know some people like to watch Passion of Christ around this time.  I've never brought myself to watch it. 

This year, as you know, it's sweets.  I love love love sweets.  Surprising since I've only had three cavaties in my life.  I've been trying to really understand fasting and I thought this was a way to start in that direction.  This is the first year I feel I'll be doing it to give it up for God instead of just trying to accomplish the goal of not doing something. 

2. How were you first introduced to God?

Good question.  I'm not positive I know the answer.  We went to church when I was growing up.  Not all the time, but we went.  So, God has always been a part of my life.  As mentioned above, I don't think I really began to know him until I was in my mid-twenties.  While I had gone to church, I really didn't understand the relevance of Jesus.  I'm not sure what that says about my early church experiences or me for that matter.  I would say I met God as a saved person after attending church with my now husband.  He and his family really helped me to see what faith in my life is all about.
 
What about you?  Where did your walk start?  Link up - I'd love to read about it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I love to hear your thoughts!