Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Memoir Monday Week 22

My son used a new rationale on me this week – he said I needed to buy him Call of Duty – World at War because it is based on World War II. Since we’re studying World War II right now, he felt it would help his education. Lol Good try!

1.  What "technology" do you remember having around the house as a child?

2.  What video games did you grow up playing?  What was your favorite?

1.  What "technology" do you remember having around the house as a child?

Technology. It’s amazing how far it has come, isn’t it? Growing up, I was always fascinated by buttons. I loved video games, computers, any gadget I could get my hands on. We didn’t have a computer when I was a kid. I remember we had Pong for our TV when I was in grade school, but we never got to play it. When we were older, we were one of the first to bypass Atari and go straight to Colecovision. Now that was WAY cool! I didn’t have to go over to my friend’s house and beg her to play her PacMan anymore. Woot!

I remember the family down the street getting a Comodore when I was in about fourth grade. Jealous! I finally bought my first machine – an Apple II+ with a monochrome monitor, a modem and almost non-existent hard drive for about $200. I had it going on! It was my first college computer. While still in college, we invested (and I mean invested since we were broke!) in a $300 forty-meg harddrive. Wow! Nowadays, there are inch by inch cards that one can buy for $8 that hold ten times that much. How times have changed!
It’s been a growth process ever since. I live and breathe on my computer as do my children. It’s hard to even fathom what their kids will be working on.

2.  What video games did you grow up playing?  What was your favorite?

I mentioned video games above. We had a Coleco growing up. Games like DigDug, Pitfall, Cabbage Patch Kids, Centipede, Space Invaders, Mario, yep, I played them all. I was a beast at Ms. PacMan at the arcade. Laid down the high score and never saw anyone beat it. Too funny!

Today – I can’t even figure out how to use the controller. One stick for looking around and one for walking – too complex for me. Besides, what’s the point? I liked linear games where there was an objective. My kids just run around shooting things. I get bored way too fast with that. Bring back the puzzle type games and I’m all in!


Link up - I'd love to see how technology impacted your life!

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting - I love to hear your thoughts!