Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Eleven and Homeschooling

This week, the Homeschool Blog Cruise asked us to get our children involved.  My youngest, age 11, loves to write, so he jumped at the chance to write his own blog entry. 

He answers the following questions:

1. Why does your family homeschool?
2. What is your favorite part about homeschool?
3. What do you want to be when you grow up?




Hey everyone, the original blogger, April, wanted her child, (Hi!) to blog for her. A quick note about myself - in mom’s post, “A mother by different names” or something like that, she says that I say “mommy.” But don’t worry, it’s not some sort of high-pitched “MOMMY” that sounds like a rat choking on a piece of grass. It is more of a “Mom” or “Mommy” that sounds like a regular guy who just didn’t grow up thinking mommy was a phrase used by smaller-aged-kids. Great, now that I have put that picture in your mind, let’s get started on some questions.


1. Why does your family homeschool?

Because of the inconvenience of public school. I felt like I should have been sleeping rather than learning in there. We didn’t get through much. I hardly learned anything, and, of course, the terrible, terrible issue of bullies. The school I used to go to was full of them. I remember this one kid named Nick, who was mean to me all the time, and every time I tried to tell him to be quiet so I could hear the story or study the lesson, the teacher would point her finger at me and ask me if I had a comment to make or something like that. I’m not saying all public or private schools are bad, but the flimsy spirit of that school was NOT a fun experience.

2. What is your favorite part of homeschooling?

Science. I’m currently studying astronomy. The study of the stars is fantastic. I started at the sun, a huge boiling ball of fire, put at the perfect distance from the planets, and then moved on to Mercury, which is almost touching the sun (that’s an exaggeration), and then Venus and Neptune and Uranus (Ur-uh-nus) and ended at space travel and astronauts.

3. What occupation would you like when you are older?

I hear most kids tell me “Fashion model” or “T.V. actor/actress” so they can be extremely rich and buy over-priced limousines and servants to use in their nine story tall mansion with a theater, an indoor pool, a bowling alley, and petting zoo. Instead, I would like the peaceful life of a scientist. I admire the fact that I could stay in a lab, studying new animals, or, better yet, new asteroid belts, constellations, or, if I’m lucky, planets. My first goal would be to invent a super-advanced telescope so I could study the Kuiper belt. If I really wanted to get my hopes up , I would get a good look at the cephalopod, the giant squid. I would like to see if I could use science to improve the environment. That’s why I would like to be a scientist.

5 comments:

  1. LOVE this, April. Well, ahem, I mean April's son! Very humorous and intelligent at the same time. I read it to three of my kids and they all enjoyed it too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clapping. What a great post! I'm so glad you shared. I'm looking forward to your efforts as a scientist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! You'll make a great scientist someday! Glad to hear that you like homeschooling better than public school;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent job! I'd give you an A+ on your writing :) I really enjoyed your detailed explanation about what you'd like to be when you grow up. May God Bless your endeavors towards that means..it sounds like you are well on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet you, April's son! You've got me almost wishing I could be an astronomer... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - I love to hear your thoughts!