Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday Memoir - Week 5

Welcome to Monday Memoir Week 5

This week I’ve been struck with what the Southerners like to call the crud or epizoody (spelling?) – I don’t spell Southern. I am feeling better now. As with many of you, I’m sure, I’m waiting for the other five of us to follow suit. Here are my reflections for this week – I’m looking forward to reading yours!
  1. Do you like rainstorms? Why or why not?
I love rainstorms. It’s so peaceful listening to the rain as it hits the house or drips down the gutters. The plants all react by turning a vibrant green or renewing their floral blooms. Rain is a renewing.

On a rainy, drizzly day, I love to snuggle up in a warm blanket with a good book and just enjoy the laziness that comes with those kinds of days. If it’s a homeschool day, the boys and I get our blankets and spend most of the day under them doing our studies.

I also like thunderstorms. Something about nature's violence as it cracks across the sky is both frightening and beautiful. I wouldn’t stand outside in the middle of one, mind you. Being a human lightening rod is not my thing!

When my son played baseball, we disliked lightening. It could be miles away, but, as soon as detected, the horns would be blaring and we’d all be retreating to our cars until the blaring brought us back. Now that he’s not playing, I still think of the kids coming off the fields.

Describe the most serious illness or accident that you have had.

I’ve been blessed with good health. My heart and prayers go out to those who struggle with chronic or terminal illness.

The worst accident I have had… Well, that’s another story. I am accident prone…

There are actually two.

First, I was trying to take a friend Christmas shopping. He is a paraplegic from the chest down and wanted me to drive his van to the mall and accompany him shopping. I was happy to do it. Unfortunately, the road we went on and a distraction caused me to ride the curb briefly. Because of the odd center of gravity for that van, we began rocking and tipped over. I was horrified. My friend, who wouldn’t let me seatbelt him tightly, fell out of his chair. What a nightmare! I remember my shoes coming off and running over broken glass to get to him. I was spitting glass for two days, but, other than that and flashbacks for a year, we were both ok. The van, on the other hand…

Second, again at Christmas, I had brought a student a computer that my husband had rebuilt for her. Her home was way out in the country. The front door was accessed by a ramp, and it was damp that day. I walked out to get the monitor and slipped right down on my buttocks. Instinctively, I put my hands down to stop me. The net result was a broken wrist that required two surgeries and ten screws. Ouch! It wouldn’t have been so bad if it wasn’t Christmas Eve.

Needless to say, my hubby forbid good deeds for the next Christmas. lol

I can’t wait to see what you post. When you click the linky to post, that’s when you will see others who have posted as well. Not my favorite format, but the way it works for now.

Powered by Linky Tools

Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...

1 comment:

  1. Oh gracious! I'm afraid I agree with your hubby. :) Maybe you just need to do your good deeds some other time of the year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - I love to hear your thoughts!