Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Running the Wrong Race?

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2 (NIV)

It was one of those Sundays… A Sunday when I sat in church, and, for some reason, the pastor decided to preach a sermon directed right at me. Doesn’t he realize there are dozens of others sitting in the pews that need a sermon too? Why me? Wait… It wasn’t about me, was it? But it sure was directed right at my heart. God was knocking this morning.

The sermon was based on the passage in Hebrews discussing fixing our eyes on Jesus. Pastor Paul went on to elaborate about how our lives are so busy these days that time with Jesus is something that doesn’t get our focus. Focus – that was the key term. Can we focus and multi-task at the same time? I like to think I’m a master multi-tasker. What if that isn’t pleasing to God? Wow! Now that’s something to think on.

God doesn’t want us to put Him in with the shuffle of activities, chores, schooling, work, family, friends, and fun. He wants to be focused on. Intently.

I looked at the large calendar we have posted in the hallway. I see kids activities, work schedules, doctor’s appointments, a party, birthdays, even the scheduled release date for Halo. However, I don’t see God. I could argue that He’s always part of our lives, but I know that isn’t exactly true. He’s never not a part of our lives, but He certainly doesn’t get the focus. Not even a slot on the calendar.

I’m going to have to spend a lot of time thinking on this one. How can I, how can we, make sure to give God our time? Not make time for Him, but make Him our focus?

How do you do it?

Lord, Help me to focus on you. Help me to clear out the clutter in my brain, in my life, and make time for just you. I want to run the race marked out for me, not just spend time racing around without purpose. Thank you, Lord, for today’s sermon. Help me to learn from, embrace, and implement its message. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I love to hear your thoughts!